Thursday, July 2, 2009

Garilc Scape Pesto

Last week at the Farmers Market the surly Slavic woman had garlic scapes. Being that my own garlic doesn't have them yet this year I inquired to the price as they were off to the side.

I guess hardly anyone was buying them because when I asked she said she would give me a bunch for $1. Well for $1 I could hardly refuse. I didn't know what a bunch meant.

Boy Howdy!!! She FILLED a plastic grocery bag with these. I seem to have an unending supply of these babies! I've given some away but mostly I made pesto. I used The scapes, olive oil, Parmesan, and walnuts (because that is what I had.) Yummy! I froze a lot of it for the winter. You can also saute them as you do garlic and they are a little milder. Kind of how a green onion is to an onion. I also took the pesto and spread it on bread with some mozzarella for an appetizer and smeared it on chicken and grilled it. Next my husband suggested making a dip out of it.

I have a lot of the scapes left so I think I may make a bunch more pesto tomorrow. They scapes also last a long time in the fridge so I will keep some for grilling with veggies.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! It was wonderful but I think we had bad breath for like 2 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what, no basil in this? if that's the case, has your breath recovered?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barely! It is more mild than garlic but still pretty powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have the recipe? I'd love to try it! Did you just mix the ingredients to taste?

    ReplyDelete