Thursday, May 7, 2009

If you think you don't have room to grow veggies!

When I worked at Citibank and became a manager I was upgraded to a great cubicle (Is it even legal to use those words in the same sentence???) It had 6ft tall sunny window that ran the length of the cube with a huge window sill. It looked over a large expansive lawn with gorgeous trees that turned a fiery orange in fall. It was the best seat I ever sat in during my corporate world work days. I had some plants but nothing edible.

I also worked with some IT geeks at Paychex who were growing pea vines in their office window. Urban gardeners before it was even cool!!! Sadly, at Paychex, I had a dreary cube in the middle of a building that had tinted windows. While the job was great, the surroundings were suffocating.

If I worked in the corporate world today THIS is what I would be tending at my desk!

Earthbound Farms Clamshell Lettuce Garden

I am going to try this next winter. I think I'll do lettuce and arugula. Arugula is my very favorite green and is always in short supply in the winter. This past winter I bought 2 small bunches for $5 at the Long Season Market because I missed it so much. This winter I will raise my own!!

3 comments:

  1. My grandma used to do this! The great thing about the clamshells is that when the seeds are sprouting if you keep the lid on it acts as a greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point Krista! I don't know why it never occurred to me before to do something like this. How neat it would be to have your own homegrown salad in the middle of winter! Of course where you are you could grow that salad outside in Jan!

    ReplyDelete