Friday, May 29, 2009

Some Thoughts On Starting Seeds


I'm a gardener of average skill and knowledge. I have grown many things successfully from seed that I have directly sown into the ground. (peas, radish, turnips, sunflowers, beans, morning glory, lettuce, spinach).

Most years I just buy plants at the nursery when it's time for Tomatos, peppers, etc.... This year I decided to try and grow some veggies from seed by starting seeds inside. I choose broccoli, 2 kinds of tomato and onions. I read up a little on seed starting, ordered my seeds and then I was in business. I also ordered seeds that I sowed directly into the ground (Arugula, Spinach, Peas)

I have mixed feelings about this whole thing. Not only did this become a daily chore for me to have to remember but I only grew 2 kinds of tomato. (I'm giving a bunch away but they look nothing like the robust transplants at the nursery this time of year.) This year, many of the nurseries that I frequent got in on the heirloom vegetable resurgence and have offered so many different varities. You can buy one of each for about $1.69 and I ended up purchasing a bunch of tomatos as well. (purple, striped, dwarf, yellow) of course a seed grown tomato costs a lot less than $1.69 but a plant produces enough fruit that I can be satisfied with that return on investment. Also, I'm only growing 9 tomato plants. If I was growing 30, then starting seeds might be a better option for me.

The onions were so scrawny that they didnt transplant well at all. I finally put 2 clumps in and figure the clumps will be big enough in the fall for me to transplant for next year.

The broccoli. Well Im excited because Im growing a kind I can't find in transplants. However, something in my garden has snapped the stem of a few already so I filled the spaces with brussles sprouts from a nursery. It's much less frustrating replanting something you just bought rather than something you've been growing since February!

The heirloom spinach had a VERY low germination rate and I imagine that is why people stopped planting it. I had to supplement with a local brand of seeds-The cost was less and seeds acclimated to my area.

The jury is still out on the peas. I saw flowers today so peas are in my future.

2 comments:

  1. That's how I feel about it too. Maybe I just don't do it right, but my seedlings always look sad compared to the ones I can buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, my seedlings look nothing like the ones I bought.

    Also, I quoted $1.69 for one plant which was the case when buying singles. But they also had 6 plants for $1.99 for a lot of the same varieties. (even some heirlooms) All things considered, at $0.33 per plant, starting seeds really isn't worth my time and effort.

    ReplyDelete