Monday, May 4, 2009

Making Food Production a Family Affair!


My brother and I have come up with an AWESOME (I think) Mother's Day Gift for our mom!

He is building her a 4' x 8' raised bed with some scrap wood of and we are going to fill it with a small veggie garden for her. I have also already started a large rectangle planter of salad greens that is growing quite well.

My mom has never been a gardener but she does love her potted plants on the patio. She's good about caring for them and I imagine will be good about a veggie garden (especially one from her kids!) Ohhh....Great idea-I just had the thought to have my daughter make her a sign for it! She'll love it even more!

I just feel so strongly that people should learn to produce some of their own food. As soon as you have the garden, the rest is relatively easy-Water, weed & consume!

I've also been encouraging my brother, who is a landscaper, to grow some of his own food as well this year. So far he is off and running with peas, snow peas, radishes, lettuce, 2 brussles sprouts, broccoli and potatoes!

3 comments:

  1. That is a great idea! You will have to keep us updated on how it progresses through the summer. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will! I'm really excited! If I have time between now and Sunday I may make her one of those earth boxes you told me about.

    At any rate, she'll water it. My brother cuts her lawn each week so it will get weeded then!

    I'm just having so much fun thinking square-foot wise, how much stuff I can get in that one little bed!

    ReplyDelete