Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day Garden Update

Well we took the raised bed over to my parents today and I have to say-My mom was surprised and a bit perplexed. Like why would we expect her to GROW FOOD??? By the end of construction though, I could feel her warming up to the idea. I could tell she was having fun as we sat down and designed what kind of food she was going to have in it. She even called me tonight to thank me again and say she thinks it will be really neat when things start to grow.

I'm setting things out in a Square Foot Gardening configuration and her 4' x 8' garden will contain:

-1 Tomato, I am also making a homemade earthbox for an additional tomato
-2 Broccoli
-2 Pepper
-2 Eggplant
-1 Zucchini
-2 Bush cucumbers
-Green onions that she can cut early and use for, well, green onions.
-9 Onions that will grow into full size onions
-Parsley
-Basil-The funny thing about this is she asked if she could dry it. So hmm...she went from being perplexed by the whole thing to wondering about drying herbs in the space of like 2 hours. I think my plan is working......
-Marigolds in the corners
-1 separate planter of lettuce


I'll post some pictures when all the more tender veggies are planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment