Sunday, April 26, 2009

My Husband Helps The Homestead!


It's getting warm here (finally!) and we have been spending a lot more time outside. As much as I like the fact that my girl likes to dig in the dirt, I just about lost it this past week when she insisted on laying (yes laying RIGHT IN IT) over and over and over!!! Time to fill the sand table!

Today my husband went to Home Depot to get some play sand. 1 bag is usually too little and 2 fills it to the top. I never know how much to get and usually skimp and get one. While he was out I called him to get me a bag of potting soil as well.

He came home with a smug look and told me to go look in the car. When I did I noticed that he must have performed his old "broken bag of mulch" routine which he read about somewhere when we first got married. Now my husband has never really been a big spender so I can't claim to be totally responsible for this next thing but this is a guy who HATES picking up side-of-the-road finds. I'm a little surprised but for as long as I can remember, when he's at home improvement stores/garden centers (and looking for mulch and the like) he asks about broken bags -If they have some and would they sell them for a discount.

Anyway, the trunk was FULL. 2 BAGS OF POTTING SOIL (full but with holes) 2 BAGS OF PLAY SAND (same as the soil) 1 HUGE bag of Peat Moss-Which I can always use! (This had only a slash across the plastic) and 1/2 bag of some kind of gravel. (I think this is unuseable) Apparently you had to buy it all or get none at all. The WHOLE thing cost him $4.08. That comes to $0.68 a bag and is quite possibly one of the best deals we have ever gotten!

So, the sand table is filled, I've started containers of lettuce and arugula for gifts and planted some of my potatoes with a soil/peat mixture today!

I can't say for certain how many times this has worked-Obviously they store needs to have some broken bags. Sometimes they don't. However, whenever they do, they have always been willing to sell them.

3 comments: