Monday, April 20, 2009

Seedlings


For the past month or so I have been babying these little guys in my basement under a grown light.

Even though I've successfully grown vegetables before, I have never done any from seed! This year I waded into what, for me, is new territory.

What you see are are Romanesco Broccoli, and 3 heirloom tomato varieties ' (Brandywine, Raad Red, and genovese) Raad Red might not be an heirloom as much as it is a production variety good for canning. Problem is I lost the labels so I can't figure out who is who. I'm hoping Google Images might be able to help me as they get bigger as they do have really different leaves.

My next step is hardening these babies off to be able to survive outside. What needs to happen is that I need to put them outside a little at a time to get use to it out there other wise they won't acclimate and shrivel up and die. (or some similar fate!) The broccoli I will start with this weekend. The tomatoes (which I just re-potted into single pots) will need to wait a few more weeks!

There are also tiny onions in the upper right corner. My MIL's cat that I am watching actually ATE the first bunch of onions I planted (who knew cats eat onions?) so I only have a few from seed. I got worried and ended up buying some onion sets, which I planted this past weekend. 89 onions!!! That may sound like a lot but I'm hoping to store some as well as use some as green onions over the course of the summer.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming by my site! "Crunchy Conservatives" I like that! I might have to borrow that one from you! One of the other things we joke about is "being granola"! :-)

    Thanks for the heads up about my comments - I had just switched templates so didn't know that was a problem. It's fixed now.

    Worms have been great. I'm new at it, but let me know if you have any questions.

    Best of luck in your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to borrow it Hippie!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    I really want to look into the worms because I usually stop composting in the dead of winter and I would like to be able to compost then as well.

    ReplyDelete