Sunday, April 19, 2009

You Say Potato...


This past weekend I received my potato order from Seed Savers Exchange, a company that specializes in heirloom vegetables.

I've never grown potatoes before. I ordered the smallest amount which was a 2 1/2 lb bag. They assure me that this can plant a 50 ft row!!! I am going to try some in the driveway bed but I am also going to construct some potato towers to see how those work as well.


The variety I ordered is called La Ratte and is a french fingerling potato

Since potatoes are so cheap you may wonder why I'm even bothering.

From Mother Earth News regarding La Ratte:

‘La Ratte’ came into being through many years of selection by farmers in the ArdĂȘche region of France. It became a culinary favorite upon its introduction to Paris markets in the late 1800s.

The flavor of ‘La Ratte’ is unique — not quite earthy, a little on the mushroom side. Its skin is the color of parchment, but the flesh is yellowish-white. The yellow deepens in storage, and over time, the potato sweetens. The tubers are 6 to 8 inches in length, a little bumpy and slightly bent like a horn. In fact, because of their shape, fingerlings are sometimes referred to as “horns” or “pinecones.”

‘La Ratte’ is quite versatile in the kitchen, with a wonderful buttery texture. Like most fingerlings, it is perfect in salads. But it’s also frequently paired with smoked foods, and some cooks like to smoke the tubers themselves.

That sounds like a pretty good endorsement!

2 comments:

  1. I want to eat some potatoes right now. Could you grow me some please? Love the blog, oh mighty President!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete